Monday, October 5, 2009

Soufflé: I never knew how much I loved thee...

I made my very first soufflé last week. It was a potato and cauliflower soufflé that I found on Almost Bourdain (I arbitrarily added the cauliflower myself because I love the tangy taste of cauliflower added to cheese and potato). I was expecting something complicated and incrediby time consuming, but instead found that making this dish was one of the easiest things ever! And as an added bonus, it came out looking as good as it tasted (just like the pictures!). I would almost go so far as to say that you can't mess up a soufflé after this. Of course you can't quote me on that. There are ways to mess up anything...

So now I'm endeavouring to go on a soufflé kick. From the fancy chocolate soufflés that turn into megaliths looming over their pans to the pureed fruit soufflés that only use three ingredients (fruit, egg whites, and sugar) and then back again to the more savoury soufflés that I have only just begun to discover! I love the way they look and their light airy texture that is in such contrast to the intense and powerful flavour that you find in these beautiful dishes. I want to try more and so that is my goal for this month (in addition to making a Turkey Dinner for Thanksgiving this weekend, writing a play and two papers as well as three midterms... it can be done!).

Soufflés... I can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment