Sunday, January 24, 2010

My Very First Decorated Cake

I've enrolled myself in an introductory cake decorating course. This was done for obvious reasons, the first being that I would like my cakes to look almost as good as they taste... or edible at very least! The other reasons ranging from, I'm bored to tears to I would like a challenge after I'm done work.

I knew the first class would not end with me being the star pupil. My artistic skills are often surpassed by third graders with crayons, so I went in with an open mind and a desire to learn as much as I could.

We covered basic piping in the two hour class and at the end we were left with the confidence to ice our own little cakes. So this morning I baked my own cake (from a helpful betty crocker box) and whipped up my own icing (using lard and a handy mix) and printed up a picture from a coloring book to decorate my cake. The cake is edible and the frosting is admittedly questionable, but it was practice. All in the name of FOOD! Or something.

This is the result.

As you can see, I still need work. The face is a bit... scary. And the hands are kind of demonic, but other than that I can see a promising start in this field of culinary artistry.

Maybe.

By the way, it's supposed to be Cinderella. I've used (plenty) artistic license in this edible rendering of the Disney Princess.

No comments:

Post a Comment