Wednesday, October 13, 2010

How does one design a Karate Cake?

When asked to create a cake for a group of Karate people, what kind of designs come to mind? For that matter, what kind of cake comes to mind?

While there were loads of suggestions (red velvet cake to simulate the blood of your enemies is a good one that comes to mind), I was pressed for time on the big day and stuck with one of my all time favorite cakes that never seems to fail and always seems to please: a trusty chocolate cake from a Halloween Martha Stewart Living Magazine from 2006 (or something like that). In between the layers I smeared a fresh made strawberry puree, and to top it off I coated it in vanilla-lime swiss meringue buttercream (of the Martha Stewart variety). Yes, I know the lime flavour is kind of odd when combined with chocolate and strawberry, but I wanted to try something a little different and see if it worked. The thing was eaten so quick I don't even think anyone noticed anyway!

As for the design... a few ounces of melted chocolate in the buttercream gave it a nice brown that was easy to pipe some fun designs with.

I even went so far as to revisit my days of relative Japanese proficiency and write some kanji on the sides.

Not too bad for a cake done on the fly, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment