Monday, May 31, 2010

More Ice Creamy Deicioiusness




I love ice cream. Since I started making it myself every week, I've started liking it even more. This cannot be a healthy combination. Seriously.

The glorious thing about making my own ice cream is the freedom of flavour. Once I nailed the basic formula for making french ice cream (a rich, egg yolky custard base infused with whatever flavour I want topped off with pureed fruit)I realized that I could do anything. The sky is the limit! Honestly, this kind of freedom is a bit intimidating. With great power comes great responsibility and all. I will restrain myself from using liver pate or salmon roe in ice cream and calling it 'gourmet'. Euch.

When I have the opportunity to buy ice cream, I never choose strawberry. However the last two flavours I've made had a strawberry base. They're in season right now and you can't go wrong with fresh fruit in pretty much anything. The fresh part has this weird ability to make anything taste good.

Strawberry-Mint ice cream was probably the best. After infusing the milk with fresh mint leaves for nearly and hour, the milk had turned a bright green colour and the kitchen smelled deliciously fresh. This batch of ice cream was gone within minutes of coming out of the churner. The strawberry-anise seed ice cream needed to be stronger, but was very yummy nonetheless. I'll write up a post later about infusing milk or cream with fragrants and then you can do it too. It's really simple, but requires a fair bit of patience. Once you get it though, you'll have the world at your fingertips.

No comments:

Post a Comment