Thursday, May 27, 2010

Weirdest cake I've made yet: Chocolate Avocado Cake with Avocado Buttercream

Weird. That's all I have to say about it. Weird.

Well I could say a little bit more about it I guess. I could say that I was really bored yesterday and was given the task to come up with some bizarre, unusual and absolutely delicious cake flavor combinations (my plan is to call these unlikely creations my Kinky Kakes. I think it works. Don't judge me.). Also, there were a bunch of avocados in the fridge that looked like they weren't going to be eaten any time soon. I figured I was doing the world a service by using these avocados to create something scrumptious and chocolaty instead of losing them in the chaos of the fridge and eventually chucking them in the trash.

Of course it wasn't like I had a cook book filled with recipes for avocado gateau-- "Odd and Unusual Gateau to Delight and Confound your Palate". I actually kinda like the sound of that. Copyright Erin!! Anyhow... I turned to the Google machine. Oddly enough, avocado cake is a really popular confection in the vegan world and pulls up thousands of hits (although how many of those are actual avocado cakes and not bizarre tree fruit kink, I have no idea). The first and most promising link was to Joy the Baker. Not being one to patiently sift through all the options, I went for this recipe without a second thought.

It's a super simple recipe, a lot like Martha Stewart's One Bowl Chocolate Cake actually. No mixer needed, no praying to the French gods of gateau for success ("gateau" is the word of the day in case you hadn't noticed). Sift, mix, combine, bake, Voilá! The chocolate cake that emerges out of the depths of the oven is beautiful to behold. A perfectly moist chocolate cake with little flecks of green and just the slightest tang that is nearly impossible to place (the green flecks kind of give it away).

Then comes that bright green avocado buttercream that tops everything off with a flourish. The exclamation point to this statement of a dessert. And I've got to say that it's this "buttercream" that makes the cake so... odd. It has a very nutty taste with a strong citrus overtone that confuses your tastebuds for a moment before you finally nail just what that green goo really is. A lot of credit goes to my little brother who ate an entire piece without flinching. Even when he figured out what was in it half way through.

All told, the cake was a bit odd, but not as odd as it could be. I would definitely make the chocolate cake again--it was moist and delicate and chocolaty and ... oddly healthy. Next time though (and there will be a next time), I will make it with a lime curd and only put the avocado buttercream on the top of the cake. Make it a little less intense. But just a little...

Recipe here!

2 comments:

  1. awesome... makes me think of Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I thought! It kinda tastes a bit goulish too...

    ReplyDelete