Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Key Lime Tartlettes

For months now I have been in search of the perfect lemon curd and a tart that could be made with it. I've conjured up recipes from magazines and books and blogs, none of them have provided me with a curd that is smooth and sweet and has a subtle tang that reminds me of sunshine. Which are the basic requirements of a good lemon curd. That, and I also have to be reminded of daisies. It's just a thing. Whatever. When I eat anything lemon-centric I want to feel the sun kissing my cheeks and maybe some cool waves lapping at my toes.

So when I saw a bag of key limes on sale at the grocery store I thought I might try mixing it up a bit. A couple of limes in with the lemon curd. Or maybe the other way around. I wasn't really paying attention--too overwhelmed by my (not as new as I would like) discovery! The pairing was so perfect I could have smacked myself in the face.

Those bitty little limes managed to tame the overpowering sour nature of the lemons. And I was able to come up with a key lime-lemon curd that kissed me right down to my toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment